Alexander Khovanov goes second overall to Wildcats in CHL Import Draft
Early Wednesday afternoon was taking place the 2017 CHL Import Draft, where many teams look to add a player or two who could make quite an impact to their roster. A total of 72 European players were drafted by CHL teams, with 20 of them being chosen by teams playing in the QMJHL
The first QMJHL representatives to pick were the Moncton Wildcats, drafting second overall. With their selection, they opted to draft Russian forward Alexander Khovanov, a five-foot-11, 179-pound center playing with the Irbis Kazan in the MHL. Considered one of the top prospects for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, the 17-year-old forward amassed eight goals and 14 assists for 22 points in 29 games last season.
The next QMJHL selection originally belonged to the Sherbrooke Phoenix, who decided to pass. Therefore, the next QMJHL pick went to the Rimouski Océanic, who selected Dmitri Zavgorodny, a Russian forward playing out of the MHL. In 15 games with the Omskie Yastreby, he picked up five goals and seven assists for 12 points.
The Halifax Mooseheads were next to make their call at 11th overall, and once again managed to impress. This time, they made Czech right winger Filip Zadina one of theirs. Another highly regarded prospect ahead of next summer’s NHL draft, the six-foot, 198-pound scored nine goals and added nine assists for 18 points in 20 games playing for Pardubice in the Czech U20 league.
With Val-d’Or also passing on their selection, the Baie-Comeau Drakkar made the next pick for the QMJHL. They chose to draft French forward Alexandre Texier from the Grenoble Bruleurs de Loup. A second-round pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets in this summer’s entry draft, the six-foot, 187-pound center had 19 points (10 goals, nine assists) in 40 games with Grenoble.
Rounding out the Top-5 QMJHL picks were the Drummondville Voltigeurs, with the 20th overall pick. They chose to draft German-born Bastian Eckl. Playing at right wing, he played in 34 games, where he totaled 14 goals and 27 assists, for 41 points, with the Jungadler Mannheim U19 in the DHL.
Full picks made by the QMJHL:
2. Moncton Wildcats: Alexander Khovanov, C, 5’11”, 179 lbs, Irbis Kazan
8. Rimouski Océanic: Dmitri Zavgorodny, F, 5’9”, 161 lbs, Omskie Yastreby
11. Halifax Mooseheads: Filip Zadina, RW, 6′, 198 lbs, HC Pardubice U20
17. Baie-Comeau Drakkar: Alexandre Texier, C, 6′, 187 lbs, Grenoble Bruleurs de Loup
20. Drummondville Voltigeurs: Bastian Eckl, RW, 6’1”, 163 lbs, Jungadler Mannheim U19
23. Québec Remparts: Tomas Dajcar, D, 6’4”, 210 lbs, HC Olomouc U20
26. Gatineau Olympiques: Mikhail Shestopalov, LW, 6′, 168 lbs, Irbis Kazan
29. Victoriaville Tigres: Matvei Zaseda, LW, 5’10”, 183 lbs, Amur Khabarovsk
32. Chicoutimi Saguenéens: Vladislav Kotkov, LW, 6’4”, 198 lbs, Krasnaya Armiya Moskva
35. Cape Breton Screaming Eagles: Yegor Sokolov, LW, 6’3”, 199 lbs, Chelyabinsk Belye Medvedi
38. Acadie-Bathurst Titan: Michal Ivan, D, 6’1”, 183 lbs, Zvolen HKM
41. Shawinigan Cataractes: Jan Drozg, LW, 6′, 174 lbs, Leksands IF Jr. 18
44. Blainville-Boisbriand Armada: Jan Hladonik, C, 5’9”, 161 lbs, Trinec HC Zelenzarny Jr.
47. Rouyn-Noranda Huskies: Patrik Hrehorcak, RW, 5’10”, 178 lbs, Trinec HC Zelenzarny Jr.
50. Charlottetown Islanders: Nikita Alexandrov, F, 5’11”, 163 lbs, Iserlohn EC Jr.
53. Saint John Sea Dogs: Ostap Safin, RW, 6’5”, 191 lbs, Sparta Praha Jr.
101. Shawinigan Cataractes: Danil Roganov, D, 6’4”, 215 lbs, Moscow Dynamo U17
104. Blainville-Boisbriand Armada: Aleksi Anttalainen, D, 5’8”, 184 lbs, TPS Turku Jr.
107. Rouyn-Noranda Huskies: Jakub Lauko, LW, 6’1”, 172 lbs, Chomutov Pirati
113. Saint John Sea Dogs: Radim Salda, D, 6’1”, 176 lbs, Hradec Kralove Jr.