2017 QMJHL Draft: First round recap
Early Saturday morning many young players, families and fans were gathered at Harbour Station in Saint John, N.B., where the highly anticipated 2017 QMJHL Entry Draft was taking place. During this day, a large amount of young lives would change forever.
The Rimouski Océanic had the luxury of owning the first overall selection of the draft, and to nobody’s surprise, they opted to draft St-Eustache forward Alexis Lafrenière, the consensus first overall pick. He is highly regarded as one of the best players to come out of Midget AAA in the last 15 years, so should therefore be an offensive force for Rimouski as of next season.
The second overall pick belonged to the Sherbrooke Phoenix, and they went with forward Samuel Poulin. Showing great promise as a power forward, Sherbrooke adds to their offensive group by drafting a player expected to provide a good physical presence in front of the net.
With the third overall selection, the Moncton Wildcats picked SSF forward Jakob Pelletier. A proven winner, known to come up big when it counts, the Wildcats lean towards Pelletier in hopes of accelerating their rebuild. With him now on board, things can only get better going forward for Moncton.
Picking at number four were the Halifax Mooseheads, who decided to add Xavier Parent to their ranks. Already possessing an excellent group of young players, Parent compliments a team that should quickly become a powerhouse within the league.
Holding on to the fifth overall pick, the Val-d’Or Foreurs went with the first defenseman of the draft in Maxence Guénette of the Lévis Commandeurs. Probably the biggest riser in this year’s draft, Guénette is a two-way defenseman who likes to play a nice physical game, and should be the team’s leader on the blue line in the years to come.
Full first round selections:
- Rimouski Océanic: Alexis Lafrenière, LW, 6′, 171 lbs, St-Eustache Vikings
- Sherbrooke Phoenix: Samuel Poulin, LW, 6′, 195 lbs, Collège Esther-Blondin Phénix
- Moncton Wildcats: Jakob Pelletier, C, 5’8”, 150 lbs, Séminaire Saint-François Blizzard
- Halifax Mooseheads: Xavier Parent, C, 5’7”, 164 lbs, Collège Esther-Blondin Phénix
- Val-d’Or Foreurs: Maxence Guénette, D, 5’11”, 166 lbs, Lévis Commandeurs
- Baie-Comeau Drakkar: Nathan Légaré, RW, 5’11”, 184 lbs, St-Eustache Vikings
- Baie-Comeau Drakkar: Christopher Merisier-Ortiz, D, 5’10”, 161 lbs, St-Eustache Vikings
- Drummondville Voltigeurs: Dawson Mercer, RW, 6′, 155 lbs, Bishop’s College U18
- Drummondville Voltigeurs: Xavier Simoneau, LW, 5’5”, 172 lbs, Gatineau Intrépide
- Rimouski Océanic: Christopher Inniss, D, 5’10”, 170 lbs, Collège Charles-Lemoyne Riverains
- Sherbrooke Phoenix: Bailey Peach, LW, 5’9”, 160 lbs, Cole Harbour Wolfpack
- Rimouski Océanic: Mathieu Bizier, C, 5’11’, 166 lbs, Lévis Commandeurs
- Halifax Mooseheads: Justin Barron, D, 6′, 179 lbs, Halifax McDonalds
- Cape-Breton Screaming Eagles: Noah Laaouan, D, 5’10”, 155 lbs, Steele Subaru Major Midgets
- Cape-Breton Screaming Eagles: Brooklyn Kalmikov, C, 5’10”, 146 lbs, Collège Esther-Blondin Phénix
- Moncton Wildcats: Jaxon Bellamy, D, 6’3”, 176 lbs, Saint John Vitos
- Val-d’Or Foreurs: Jérémy Michel, LW, 5’11”, 150 lbs, Lévis Commandeurs
- Québec Remparts: Pier-Rick Dubé, RW, 5’7”, 152 lbs, Séminaire Saint-François Blizzard
- Drummondville Voltigeurs: Thomas Pelletier, D, 6’1”, 187 lbs, Séminaire Saint-François Blizzard