Strome, Raddysh lead Otters in rout of Sea Dogs


WINDSOR, ONT. – Three days after playing their first game at the MasterCard Memorial Cup, the Saint John Sea Dogs were back in action on Monday facing the powerful Erie Otters. Unfortunately, their opponents proved to be in a league of their own in a game that was punctuated by indiscipline.

Striking early in the first period, Taylor Raddysh scored the first goal of the game firing a shot to beat Callum Booth glove side. Cédric Paré of Saint John tied things at one a few minutes later, only to see Erie regain the lead once again, thanks to Kyle Maksimovich. Shortly after, on a play that some may find rather questionable, Dylan Strome also added a goal for Erie, seconds after some believed him to be offside. Mathieu Joseph gave some hope to Saint John near the end of the initial frame, firing a one-timer past goaltender Troy Timpano to cut Erie’s lead to two. However, the Otters quickly answered back with Anthony Cirelli sliding the puck right under Booth’s pads to find the back of the net. This goal ended Booth’s evening, with Alex D’Orio coming in to finish the game. Erie lead 5-2 after 20 minutes.

Things didn’t seem to change at the start of the second period. Playing with a five-on-three man advantage, Erie struck twice in under two minutes, with both Taylor Raddysh and Strome scoring their second goals of the game. Saint John’s reply came only at the end of the period, when Spencer Smallman found a hole to beat Timpano underneath the pads. The Otters didn’t let the foot off the gas, however, as Alex DeBrincat scored on what would be another powerplay for his team. Darren Raddysh followed suit shortly after, while another Sea Dogs’ player was in the sin bin. Erie extended their to 8-3 after two periods.

In the final frame, Ivan Lodnia scored less than 30 seconds in with a powerful slap shot. Roughly five minutes later, captain Strome completed his hat-trick by beating D’Orio on the glove side. This goal also tied the record for most goals scored by one team in a game at the Memorial Cup, a record that would be broken later on in the game by none other than Strome, scoring his fourth goal of the game. During the final minutes of play, Cédric Paré, with his second of the game, cut Erie’s lead while there was traffic in front of Timpano’s net. Afterwards, Julien Gauthier fired a wrist shot that managed to beat Timpano once again, bringing the score to 12-5. The score would remain this way as Erie would go on to win by a landslide.

Earning the win for the Otters, Troy Timpano made 18 saves on the 23 shots he faced. For Saint John, Callum Booth made 9 saves on 14 shots before being replaced by Alex D’Orio, who turned aside 18 shots out of 25.

Saint John won’t have a very long period of time to regroup with a do-or-die game against the Seattle Thunderbirds Tuesday night with the winner getting a spot in the semi-final. As for the Otters, their next game will take place on Wednesday night against the host Windsor Spitfires.


Three Stars of the Game:
1st Star – Dylan Strome, ER
2nd Star – Taylor Raddysh, ER
3rd Star – Anthony Cirelli, ER