Drakkar’s Element suspended six games
Shawn Element of the Baie-Comeau Drakkar has been given a six game suspension by the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
Raymond Bolduc, the league’s director of player safety, announced the news on Saturday Jan. 28.
The incident occurred against the Rimouski Océanic on Jan. 27, 2017
Here are the reasons for the suspension given by the QMJHL:
- A Rimouski player entered the opposing zone with the puck along the left boards in a three-on-two situation.
- He made a pass to a teammate in the slot.
- The latter received the pass a little behind him and took a shot on net.
- The player at fault came from the bench on a change and was back checking.
- He hit the opponent as he took his shot.
- The opponent’s head turned from back to front as he retrieved the puck and took the shot on net.
- He could not see the player at fault coming.
- The player at fault, arriving from the bench and late on the play, had speed.
- He hit the opponent with his shoulder from the blindside.
- The head was the main point of contact.
- This was a dangerous move.
- The player at fault made no effort to minimize the impact.
- The opponent was not injured on the play.
- This is the first offense of the player at fault.
The decision was taken after viewing video of the incident, considering the officials report, speaking with the organisations involved and consulting the league’s advisory committee for disciplinary action.