Screaming Eagles’ Svevchnikov suspended
The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Evgeny Svechnikov of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles for three games.
The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on March 1st, against the Baie-Comeau Drakkar.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
- The Cape Breton player was along the boards at the top of the circle.
- The opposing player directed himself towards him and cross checked him to the upper body.
- The Cape Breton player responded with a double handed stick to the neck of his opponent.
- The player at fault gave a violent and dangerous blow near the head.
- This was a cheap shot.
- This was the first infraction for the player at fault.
- There was no injury as a result.
The Director of Player Safety made this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.
Source: Quebec Major Junior Hockey League – www.theqmjhl.ca