Maritime Junior A Final to begin next week



The Kent Cup Finals in the Maritime Hockey League have been determined.

The Truro Bearcats from the Nova Scotia based Eastlink Division will be taking on the Dieppe Commandos of the New Brunswick/Prince Edward Island based Roger Meek Division.

For Truro, this is now back-to-back seasons they will compete for the Kent Cup, losing last season in five games to the Summerside Western Capitals, while for Dieppe it marks the first time since the franchise moved to the suburb of Dieppe from Moncton in 2008 that they have made the league finals. The last time the franchise participated in the league finals they won the championship in 1996.

Following a four-game defeat of the Valley Wildcats, the Bearcats faced their long-time rival the Weeks Crushers based out of New Glasgow, N.S. The teams battled for most the season for first in the division with the Bearcats pulling ahead late in the season and securing home ice advantage in the series, but due to yet another winter storm, Game 1 in Truro would be postponed and it was decided that the series would actually start in New Glasgow before shifting to Truro for back-to-back games. The change in venue did not hurt the Bearcats as they defeated the Crushers 6-2 before winning the following two games in Truro by 7-2 and 4-3 scores respectively. Game 4 would be played before 1,413 spectators at the Pictou County Wellness Centre in New Glasgow and the Bearcats would eliminate the hometown Crushers with an overtime goal from defenceman Daniel Poliziani.

The Dieppe Commandos opened the Meek Division Final on the road facing the higher seeded Miramichi Timberwolves. The road team would win the first three games of this series before Dieppe built a 4-1 lead in Game 4 and held on to win the game 4-3 while being outshot 14-3 in the third period. However, the bigger story of this game might have been the suspension to former Halifax Mooseheads captain and current Timberwolves star defender Trey Lewis. Lewis received a major penalty for a check to the head and was assessed a three game suspension.

With four players out of the lineup, the Timberwolves returned home and put together a gutsy effort to defeat the Commandos 3-1, lead by a three-point performance from former Quebec League forward Bryce Milson. Returning to Dieppe for Game 6 both teams would battle to a 1-1 tie after 40 minutes before the Commandos scored three unanswered third period goals from Thierry Comtois, Michael Hache and Mathieu Newcomb to wrap up the series in six games.

The Kent Cup Finals are now set to begin this Tuesday when Dieppe travels to Truro. Game 2 will then take place in Dieppe on Thursday night.